Thursday, May 05, 2005

AJCSB SYF (3)

Band number 16, Anderson Junior College, Silver.
Haiz, to say I'm not upset is to lie. You can tell from the way they played the pieces that it's going to be a Silver. In that space of time after they have played, how I wished that I could do a fast forward or skip a few frames and come to many moments after the announcing of the results.

Since we/they played last, they remained on stage until the results were announced. It was unnerving for them, I guess. It is most interesting that AJ got to stay on the stage.. haha... whatever.
Anyway, we could hear lots of little mistakes here and there. Most due to nerves rather than insufficient practice. I could practically taste the nervousness, tension, anxiousness and expectation they were feeling while I was sitting in the audience.
Quite a few cried, most were upset. The gold was so close they could touch it. In fact, they did, but sadly, didn't hold on to. When the conductor gave a little pep talk later, you could see their shoulders slouching and their depressed faces. I had to grind my teeth and hold back my tears for they had worked so hard and were so disappointed.
My perc section cried too. Even Jiaxing cried. They didn't exactly look very happy.
I know they wouldn't be reading this, but in my mind I keep telling them not to be upset for too long... Because the journey to playing better music has just started. It doesn't matter if you all don't get gold this time, because there will be a next time. Because you need time to hone your skills.
Most importantly, don't be too upset, because you have enjoyed playing with your bandmates.

I think you guys did great! I applaud you for the hard work put in. I also can't help but thank all of you, for showing me once again how beautiful playing music can be, when all of you put your hearts and minds to it.

And I thank the conductors. Although I don't know all of your names, thank you all for putting such faith in them, letting them believe that they can achieve that gold and leading them up to it. Thank you for teaching them so much. It's a joy to watch my juniors play well under all your guidance.
Not to forget the teachers, thank you for always being there and encouraging them, to give them the extra boost to take them through to the next stage.

To music always.. cheers! =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home