Newspaper ; Perc. concert
There was this really funny article in The Straits Times today (2nd sept 2005) regarding Buangkok MRT :Police probe complaint on 'white elephants'
When I saw the article on paper I thought there was some printing error or the cut-out pictures of the elephants were placed there using some software. It was really an amusing and innovative way to make a point and get it across without creating a storm. I thought the person must be really artistic because the elephants were really nicely drawn and cartoon-ish, not to mention really cute.
I went for the percussion concert put up by Commonwealth, Ang Mo Kio and Xinmin Secondary today (2nd sept 2005, friday) at XMS school hall. It was really cool, past the standard I was expecting. Mr. Huei-Yuan Pan, a percussionist, student, musician who had and is still studying overseas, and who will be going to Chicago's Northwestern University to do his Masters in Percussion Performance, was mainly the one who trained the percussionists from these 3 schools for tonight's performance. (Sorry the introduction was so long, I had to do him justice.) He is really, really good! Both on mallets and marching snare drum.
I have to talk about the marching snare bit. It was awesome! It was a scene straight from drumline, what with all the stick throwing, flipping, using stick butts to hit, turning of the wrists... God, I never thought I would actually SEE it being done in front of me, in Singapore. I'm telling you, I am still shocked and amazed and am still astonished that I actually saw it being played. I wish I had brought my camera and taken a few photos of him playing.
Why shocked and astonished? Because they only said that it was a marching snare drum solo, so I expected something ordinary and perhaps boring although insightful, and I got the shock of my life when he started hitting the drum wildly and then proceeded to do the tricks that I had attempted to imitate after watching drumline in JC.
There was a bit where he did not manage to catch his stick after throwing it, but he picked it up, jumped in front of the snare, clicked his sticks together and motioned for us to clap, then continued right where he left off. It was wonderful! I still can't believe I actually watched all this for FREE! Right in my alma-mater's school hall! I feel like I have just had some wine and am floating around.
Not to mention that he was good-looking and charming ok! Some people have everything! This is the 2nd time I have actually blogged about a good-looking guy with the talent (the first being Junyang, in the post before this), and twice consecutively!
To Yiangshan, this must be another case of "bass guitar syndrome". =D Must help me tell Mr. Pan that he very good ok! And very charming! From my position below the stage and with the stage light behind him, anyway. =D
Everytime I think about the snare drum solo I stare into space and have this stupid smile on my face... I am so happy that I managed to watch someone play that drumline scene LIVE, in a normal school hall... Unbelievable!
*Sigh*
And it will be Mr. Brando Tan's birthday today (3rd sept 2005, saturday), so the percussionists and some of the band members actually bought a cake and brought it in at the end of the concert, while playing the birthday song. It was really nice of them and quite touching, albeit a little noisy. =)
And oh! I saw Tommy from my NYPF group on stage! The youngest percussionist in our group at that time has grown up! With spiked hair... why is it always spiked hair? Haha, anyway, Yiangshan, help me tell him I saw him and said hi ok!
Haha, haiz, I'm growing old... I still have my Literature essay to figure out and that physics paper which I have not started on yet, but that's not for another 2 months so it's Lit for now. And I have decided to change my mind about my Lit tutor. She's quite nice and teaches well. I just have to get used to her.
Today is a good day! I caught one of the most amazing performances of my life (unexpectedly) and have started on my essay . . .
Cheers to music!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home