Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Chaperoning at Istana Park

Terrible!

I'm terribly behind on schoolwork!

Chaperoned some kids on Sunday (2nd october 2005) at Istana Park but was too tired after that to blog about it. I did it because LYP is venturing into music events organization and SPU is under LYP. I wanted to give it a shot as well. It was tiring work, getting everything to run smoothly, co-operating with Kim Peng and Yizhen. I had only one school to control. Poor Yizhen has 2 schools to control. Although my school was bigger in size, it is not as easy to take care of 2 separate schools as 1. Poor girl, she was freaking out way before the performance actually started. Kim Peng (Miss Ng, because she is a teacher), did a very good job on co-ordinating everything during rehearsals. I think she is a natural teacher and leader.

It was actually quite ok for me, although there were some hiccups. Damien got really unhappy at some point during the performance on stage and it upsetted the girls of one particular school. Anyway the performance was a combination of the ang-klung groups and handbells, both by primary school kids, which I thought was pretty cool.

And a lot of them have handphones! I consider primary 4 a really young to own one. However, seeing as how the times are changing (it always is), I am not really surprised. While waiting with the kids and their teachers for their bus to come, they started playing and talking and then I learned that this young boy already has a girlfriend (oops, typed wrongly, put "boyfriend" instead of "girl". Thanks Yizhen and Siu Hang for pointing it out to me!) at primary 4 (or 5)! His friends told me that he had already kissed her as well. I feel so depressed! Nobody wants me! I lose to a PRIMARY SCHOOL BOY! WAAAAaaaa!

HMPH! *wipes tears* Who cares! I have my blog!

There was this boy with really dark skin, black actually, and he was kind of alone among all the chinese. He is not Indian, doesn't look like it. He looks exactly like an African American. Despite Singapore being a multi-racial country (supposedly), I still feel curious about them. And yes, he is a Singaporean. Got me thinking about multiracial issues and brought to mind an article published some time ago on how people tend to hang out more with those of their own race.

3 Comments:

At October 06, 2005, Blogger chillycraps said...

"then I learned that this young boy already has a boyfriend at primary 4 (or 5)!"

did you type wrongly?? If you didn't, then that is quite horrible!

Anyway, dunno why for my critical thinking & writing tutorial, I purposely joined a group with one Sikh and one Pakistani...

Today during sociology lecture I learned something interesting about race. Race is actually created by people themselves, when in fact there is no race in the beginning. Altho I don't quite understand what AP Tan meant by no biological connection, but I think it is true that the world could have been a raceless world if people just don't look out for appearence.

 
At October 07, 2005, Blogger tstar said...

haha.. oops, type wrongly! thanks.. i muz b too despo, check le still didn't see e word... haha..
sadly, people DO look at appearances... that's a person's basic nature, isn't it? well, most ppl anyway.. no biological connection mayb means our body's biology doesn't "programme" us to group together wif diff races? *shrugs*

 
At October 07, 2005, Blogger chillycraps said...

despo girl!! -_-"
AP Tan said something like, a Chinese and an Indian breed and will produce human(s), but a lion does with a tiger may not produce anything ("liger"?).. sorta disgusting though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home