Schapelle Corby vs. Nguyen Tuong Van
Remember Corby's plight late last year (October 2004) / early this year when she was caught with 4.1kg of marijuana in Bali, Indonesia?Sentenced to 20 years of jail in Indonesia and a 10 million rupiahs fine for drug smuggling.
Australians were adamant that she was innocent. There were many, many websites specially created just for her.
Why?
Pardon me, but I don't think she was innocent. Basically because 4.1kg of marijuana is kind of heavy to not have been noticed. As to why there were so many protests regarding this, because she is... pretty, I guess. Who wants to see a pretty face suffer?
Was reminded of Corby's case because of Nguyen's in Singapore. Isn't it kind of a parallel? He has his own websites too! Differences include, according to CNA, a divided Australia on whether he should be executed, as compared to Corby's 90% of Australians who were convinced she was innocent.
He brought 400gm of heroine into Singapore during a plane transit. That's 26,000 doses.
The amazing thing is that the case lasted for 3 years before he was executed on 2nd december 2005. Why didn't Corby's case last longer?
I really don't understand why the Australians were so fired over this. He brought heroin into Singapore, Singapore has execution laws for drugs, he broke (violated?) the law, he takes the punishment. It's as simple as that, isn't it?
It kinds of gross me out that I'm talking about a person's death like that - simple, flowchart technique.
Anyway, they should respect our laws.
I am quite in awe of the fact that the Australians would stand up for 1 of their own, but to stand up for a drug smuggler... I can't accept that.
I like what one newspaper wrote: Maybe it would have been better if he was female and blonde.
2 Comments:
I don't quite get your point.
So what is the implication of the 3 yrs that Nguyen went through? Better in what sense for him to be female and blonde?
Sounds like you are unhappy that less Aussies are on Nguyen's side than that of Corrby.
I don't know what is the implication coz I don't understand why nguyen's case lasted 3 yrs. Can u tell me why?
I was being sarcastic when i said he'd be better if he were female and blonde. people look at pretty faces. it's something that was said about corby too, that because she was good looking so her case was very... publicized. I hope I didn't get the facts wrong.
And no, I wasn't unhappy, I was just curious.
Post a Comment
<< Home